Join us for episode 11 of The Torch of Progress with Jerry Neumann, Adjunct Professor at Columbia University and Founder of Neu Venture Capital.
Other Ways to Enjoy this Episode:
Podcast – The Torch of Progress, Ep. 11 with Jerry Neumann, available on Apple Podcasts
Key Discussion Points:
- The funding, organization, and management of research
- Linear and non-linear models of innovation
- Uncertainty vs. risk in progress
Guest Speaker: Jerry Neumann
A veteran in the world of venture capital, Jerry Neumann has been investing in internet startups for more than 20 years. He presently runs Neu Venture Capital, a firm he founded in 2008 that invests in early-stage internet companies. Neu has been among the first investors in groundbreaking enterprise software companies including Datadog, The Trade Desk, and Flurry. The companies Neu has helped seed-fund have created more than $50 billion in market value and more than 3,000 jobs. He has been called one of New York’s top early stage investors by Business Insider. Jerry also teaches entrepreneurship and innovation at Columbia University.
Before Neu, Jerry co-founded Root Markets, a pioneer in programmatic marketing. He ran the venture capital division of Omnicom Group, the world’s leading marketing services company, where he was involved with the seed financing of many of the earliest internet marketing firms. Prior to that he was at Prodigy Services and Deloitte & Touche Consulting Group. He started his career at IBM as an engineer on the design team of the ES/9000 family of mainframes. He graduated from Columbia University with a BS and MS in electrical engineering and from NYU with a MBA.
He writes at http://reactionwheel.net.
Previously on The Torch of Progress:
- Episode 1 with Dr. Matt Bateman
- Episode 2 with Tyler Cowen
- Episode 3 with Patrick Collison
- Episode 4 with Dr. Max Roser
- Episode 5 with Deirdre Nansen McCloskey
- Episode 6 with Joel Mokyr
- Episode 7 with Noor Siddiqui
- Episode 8 with Antone Howes
- Episode 9 with Danica Remy
- Episode 10 with Laura Mazer
- Episode 12 with Adam Mossoff
- Episode 13 with Adam Wiggins
- Episode 14 with Manjari Narayan
- Episode 15 with Michael Strong
- Episode 16 with Sarah Constantin
Join the Next Cohort
Our guest speakers include experts on the history of science, technology, and industry, as well as those on the frontier. It’s open to all—sign up for our mailing list to get event invitations.